Bryce 100 Race Report (Santa Style)

Bryce 100 Race Report

Is a pasta dish, flavored with ‘Chipotle’ sauce, spicy? In retrospect, I seriously wish I had thoroughly pondered this critical question before ordering a plate of Chipotle Pasta at the pre-race dinner on Friday night. Being in Utah, I assumed any spice would be metered out so thoughtfully as not to destroy the taste buds of the very homogenously white population.

The Fateful Plate

In one bite, I found out I had completely misjudged the palate of Utahans. I was able to stomach it by swallowing individual pieces of pasta whole with lots of water, beer, and bread to wash it down. The strong spices irritated my stomach the night before the race and my internals still felt touch-and-go the morning of the race.

We arrived at the starting line in Hatch, UT at 4:20 in the morning. Having done packet pick-up the day before, there wasn’t much to do except hit the porta-potties and stay warm in the car.

Messing around at the start

Getting out of the car 15 minutes before the start, I was startled to hear someone shout “Stefan.” In the car next to us, fellow Cocodonan Karel Baloun had also been anxiously awaiting the start. It was nice to meet him in person, having conversed with him on social media a number of times.

Karel and I on the initial road climb

At the start line, I spoke with Jose Sosa, another fellow Cocodona finisher, who had graciously offered to pace me for the last marathon or so. He was out there crewing and supporting a number of friends from his San Diego-based running group, many of whom quickly mobbed me for a group picture. Moments like these remind me of how small the ultrarunning world truly is and how welcoming its members are.

Jose and I at the start line

Start Line Mob

After taking the requisite pictures with my fellow Bay Area 100-milers, Dan Aspromonte and Sam Louie, we jostled our way into the crowd (my first mass start since the beginning of the pandemic) and awaited the starting gun.

Sam, Dan, Mom, and I

Excited or Nervous - Who Knows?

The start was mildly anticlimactic, however, as all 225 starters were quickly forced into a bottleneck 20 yards from the start line in order to avoid a stampede rushing over a cattle guard. After some brief conga line action, I enjoyed running the first two miles of fire road up to Proctor Canyon Aid with Dan and Sam.

During this section, I was also fortunate to bump into Karel. We started chatting about his experience at Cocodona and his upcoming race schedule (it’s insane by the way – check out his ultrasignup). We breezed through the first station and hit the steep singletrack to Blue Fly A/S.    

This 1.7-mile section was some of the prettiest on the whole course. The sun had risen enough that headlamps were no longer necessary, but the moon was still out and the whole earthe bore a beautiful early morning glow.

Climbing to an elevation of 8,500, I realized I was experiencing slight altitude sickness with a mild headache and some nausea. I took one ibuprofen and hoped that would be sufficient to calm the symptoms. We soon reached Blue Fly Aid Station and I quickly grabbed some salty potato chips.

The next section to East Fork A/S consisted of runnable, mostly downhill, fire road. I spent about half of this section getting into a groove running with Karel. We ran past these beautiful mountain meadows and marveled at the spectacular hues of the sunrise.


I soon bid farewell to Karel as I was hoping to push the pace early on because I knew it would get hot and steep later. With the cool temperatures, I did not need to stop at the water drop at mile 11. Instead, with no chatty running companions near me, I turned on some music and cruised to East Fork A/S at mile 13.

Here, we were able to see crew for the first time. Still feeling strong, I grabbed a turkey and cheese sandwich, a Coke, and chatted with my dad for a minute or two before continuing along the fire road.

The next section to Coyote Hollow A/S was filled with sandy and dusty fire road. Worried about my breathing getting impaired from all the dust, I pulled my buff up whenever I was with a lot of runners or an ATV passed by.

This six-mile section flew by and we soon joined a road that would lead us up to Coyote Hollow. While I understand the desire to put a crew access aid station here as we wouldn’t see crew for another 40 miles or so, the incredible amount of cars on the road kicked up significant dust for the runners and many of us were audibly hacking when we arrived at Coyote Hollow.

Knowing I wouldn’t see my dad for a while, I took a longer break here. I wisely took the time to clean all the dust off my feet and put on new socks. I also drank an orange Powerade and ate some turkey and cheese tortilla roll-ups. It was unfortunate, however, that the aid station did not have ice as the next section to Thunder Mountain would be hot.

I walked with my dad for about a quarter-mile out of the aid station wanting to soak up some time with him before the long non-accessible section ahead.

Leaving Coyote Hollow

Every mile on this section was filled with spectacular views of traditional Bryce Canyon imagery. We enjoyed mostly downhill singletrack all the way to the ‘hoodoo’ section of the course. These beautiful soft rock spires were a delight to see in person and I took the time to soak it all in.

Beautiful Valley

Hoodoos!!

I spent some time of this section with a few different runners – Michael from Houston, Shane from Claremont, and Justin from Oklahoma. It was fun to chat with Michael regarding training from mountain races in Texas, Shane regarding this being his first 100-miler, and Justin regarding our common interest in the Run the Riot podcast (which he has been a guest on – “The Baconater”)

Shane

Many runners, including Justin, were struggling in the heat and running out of water. It was a relief to soon hit the Thunder Mountain Water A/S. From there, it was a couple miles of pretty singletrack into the Hillsdale Canyon A/S.

Almost at Hillsdale Canyon

Here, I also took the time to regroup, rehydrate, put down some food, and change socks. I also attended to blisters that had popped up on the outside edge of my heels on both feet. Sitting right near me was Charles Fisher from Texas. It was great to see him as we had raced each other back in February at the Rocky Raccoon 100. He was also struggling in the heat and decided to take a long break to rehydrate.

After saying goodbye to Charles, I rejoined the course heading towards Proctor Canyon for our second pass of the aid station. This section looks to be on the easier side from the course elevation profile, but was in fact, filled with plenty of short ups and downs which brought many runners to a crawl in the mid-day heat.

Pictures don't do this section justice!

During this section, we also had to hop over a few creeks. Unfortunately, during one of those leaps, I came down hard on my trekking pole and actually snapped the top piece off from the rest of the pole. Unable to tape it back together, I stuck the poles in my naked belt and carried on climbing the hills using my hands to grab branches and boulders for stability.

I cruised the last couple of miles into Proctor Canyon feeling strong. Here, I filled up on Coke and quesadillas and ran into Jenny Yoakum, who had run with my friend Dan Aspromonte at the Zion 100 a month earlier. I let her know about my pole situation and she offered me her spare set of poles which were 22 miles away at the Straight Canyon A/S.

I left Proctor Canyon with Julie Patno, a friendly lady from Salt Lake City who was running her first 100, and Steffany Elkins. We enjoyed quite a few miles during this section together and chatted about everything from the Western States lottery to using running as a weight-loss tool.

Steffany and Julie

At the water drop at mile 38.5 (about 3 miles into the section), I ran into a few other runners, one of which informed us of the tough section of climbing ahead (about ~3500 feet in 7 miles). RD Lyle Anderson was also there refilling the water tank. He let us know that some hooligan had opened all of the taps at the previous water station (Thunder Mtn) leading the back of the pack to show up to an empty water tank. What a shame!

601 Road Water Drop

I tried to conserve my energy in this section, but the steaming canyons and relentless climbing made this a difficult tasks. Many times, it was necessary to climb on all fours. I passed a lot of runners in this section who were so pooped they were just sitting on the side of the trail. I convinced some to join me, but many had lost the mental battle and had already decided that they were going to DNF.

I promise this is the trail!

Eventually, we made it to Blubber Creek A/S at mile 45 which looked more like an army field hospital at this point. I saw runners laying in cots, some in emergency blankets, and many with an extremely dead look in their eyes.

I met Cassandra Bergstrom as we were leaving the aid station. She is a friend of Jose Sosa who would be pacing me later in the race. She was struggling with the altitude and developing high-altitude pulmonary edema. All I could do was feel bad for her as she was hacking up a storm. She ended up dropping at the next aid station.

The next seven-mile section to Kanab Creek went smoothly. In the sunset, the views from the rim of the Paunsaugunt Plateau were absolutely gorgeous and I stopped many times to take pictures. About halfway in, the sun set and I was forced to turn on my headlamp. The last couple miles of single track were smooth and fast.

I had cautiously placed my night gear at Kanab not wanting to be stranded without it and was glad I did so. Also in my drop back were red, white, and blue glow sticks. Many runners commented on my Christmas tree resemblance throughout the night.

The five-mile section down into Straight Canyon was quite enjoyable as it was filled with buttery single track and then a couple miles of smooth service roads. Here I linked up Gretchen James and Jenny Yoakum. They were super fun to chat with as Jenny is doing Moab 240 in a couple months and was asking for advice on 200s. They were moving quickly and I stuck with them to Straight Canyon A/S.

Upon arriving at Straight Canyon, I looked for my dad and wondered why I couldn’t find him as he usually is right at the point where the course meets the aid station. A lady from a different crew informed me that my father had gone to pick up my mom from the finish line (she had run the 50k), but that he had left me a note and sandwich in my drop bag.

This news worried me because I knew the cutoff for the 50k had been a few hours earlier. In my depleted state, I truly thought something serious had occurred. In addition, I couldn’t find a note in my drop bag. This really left me in a funk, but I know my dad has always told me to keep going at a race and assume all is well unless there is very explicit evidence of the case being otherwise.

One saving grace was that I had arrived at the A/S with Jenny and Gretchen who remembered that I still needed poles. I was grateful that they had remembered and that Jenny was willing to let me use her spare set . One of the aid station workers, Brianna, was super helpful and filled me up on coffee and Swedish fish.

Swedish Fish!!

After downing a Subway sandwich (you know it was Sweet Onion Teriyaki), I put on my gloves and left the aid station. The climb up to Pink Cliff water station was filled mostly with gradually inclining service road. It was nice to have a lot of traffic going both ways as this was the end of the long out-and-back. Seeing people frequently prevented me from getting sleepy and kept me motivated. I completed a fair portion of the climb up with Steffany Elkins. We traded stories about being called each other’s names as children and laughed about how we had both turned out.

On the descent down into Crawford Pass, I made up a lot of ground, particularly because three miles or so of the descent was on a gradual sloping service road. I passed Steffany, Julie, and a few others who were moving slowly. The last couple miles into Crawford Pass were on a technical single track where I eventually saw Jenny and Gretchen and knew I wasn’t far from the aid station.

Upon arriving at Crawford Pass, it looked like the Black Death had just rolled through town. Most of the chairs were occupied by runners that were waiting to be ‘extracted’ after having thrown in the towel. I wanted to get out of there quickly, but I knew I needed to fill up on calories as I had relied solely on Swedish fish for the past four hours or so.

Crawford Pass A/S

However, I didn’t realize this was the coldest part of the course (some racers looked like they were dressed up for an Artic expedition) and I quickly felt chilled and started shaking. It would have been really nice to have a space heater or fire to sit around, as Vacation Races often provides at their events, but there was none to be found.

Instead, I wrapped myself in my emergency blanket and procured hot ramen noodles and coffee. I also drank a Mountain Dew to help wake myself up. However, not much was appetizing and the negative atmosphere inspired me to get up and leave. I was also still worried because I knew Crawford Pass was crew accessible, but my dad clearly wasn’t there. The aid station workers told me to think positive thoughts and keep going - what salient advice!

On the way out of Crawford Pass at 4AM, I wished good luck to Steffany (who went on to DNF) and Julie (who went on to finish in 34:58). I spent the couple miles of single track leaving the aid station trying to motivate those coming in who didn’t have much time with the upcoming Grim Reaper cutoff at 4:40AM.

Once I hit the service road, I kept up a decent pace with a run-walk strategy where I would pick out a landmark in the distance and decide I was going to run till there. Up the climb, I leapfrogged with Vic Aguilar, whom I had run my first 100 with at Zion a couple years earlier. I passed him near the top and never saw him again.

Right when I hit the Pink Cliffs Water Aid Station, the world around me was starting to light up. I passed a few runners who were walking the downhill slowly and turned off my headlamp to enjoy the early morning light and the beauty it brings. I enjoyed listening to Barefoot Ted’s (of Born to Run fame) interview on the Road Dog Podcast with Luis Escobar (also of Born to Run fame) throughout this section.

Right before sunrise on day 2

I soon hit the singletrack that wove right past a beautiful alpine meadow and knew I would soon be at Straight Canyon A/S again. I felt motivated knowing that I would pick up my pacer, Jose Sosa, but I was also worried because I didn’t know if I would see my crew (and I badly wanted to know what was going on).

Alpine meadow next to Straight Canyon

A few hundred yards out from the station, I saw my dad waving and was overcome with emotion. When I finally reached him, I explained how I had spent the whole night worrying about him and my mom. It turns out he had waited as long as possible at Straight Canyon wanting to see me at mile 57 but eventually left to pick up my mother. He felt horrible for not getting the message through clearly, and I kicked myself for blowing it out of proportion.

Coming into Straight Canyon

I took time at Straight Canyon to clean my feet and fill up on calories (I was still mostly relying on Swedish fish). The aid station had the most delicious breakfast burritos. In addition to downing one of those, I drank a Mountain Dew and some coffee. I then heated up for a few minutes in the car and soon left with Jose.

Glad to see my crew!

Jose "The Best Pacer Ever" Sosa

Having Jose as a pacer really boosted my energy. All the way back to Kanab Creek A/S (mile 82), he told me about his family and kept me cracking up with stories about his kids. He also filled me in on how his other friends were doing. Unfortunately, Marco, whom I had met during the Thunder Mountain section had gone out way to fast and blown up. It really is a shame when first-timers let their early ambitions get the best of them.


PC: Jose Sosa

At Kanab, I stopped to enjoy a delicious hot dog and grab some nutrition from my drop bag. Jose, seeing how much I was enjoying Swedish fish, also packed a baggie full of those wonderful little red fish.

Leaving the aid station, I was starting to feel normal and satiated again. We were finally alone (most of the race, the trails had felt packed) and enjoyed the scenery in peace. Jose kept me moving as we talked about a variety of topics including my career ambitions, his ongoing physical therapy for his ankle (which he twisted badly at Cocodona), and his upcoming race schedule.


Coming into Blubber Creek A/S at mile 89, we were caught by Joseph Grasso who was full of positive energy. I had seen him a couple times the day previous and he was always wearing this monkey hat and had a big dumb grin on his face.

The Tres Amigos

At Blubber Creek, I filled up on some potato chips, put ice in my bandana, and rearranged my bag. Jose, of course, grabbed some more Swedish fish. It was nice to see Michael Versteeg again, whom I hadn’t see since Cocodona where he easily crushed the field. He had done all the course marking for the race and was planning to start tearing down all the signage soon.

I encouraged Joe to leave the aid station with me and Jose, and that’s when the real fun began. We soon picked up Gus Pena, who joined our motley crew. We knocked out the steep downhill sections chatting about everything from court procedures (Joe), being part of the construction of the Freedom Tower in NYC (Jose), and going from being a rock climber with no ultra experience to running your first 100-miler in 10 months (Gus).

Had to take a group picture with the Christmas tree!

These guys made those last fourteen miles (the course was really 103-4 miles long) so enjoyable that we almost forgot how far along we were. We passed many runners on this section and kept a good pace with Jose pushing us on the downhills and encouraging us on the uphills. Going up this section the afternoon before in the heat was very challenging, but going down was also tough because many of the sections were so steep and technical that we had to be careful not to roll an ankle.

Rock ladder treachery

We all had collective memory loss the mile or two before reaching the 601 Road Water Drop (mile 96). I asked Joe and Gus to raise their hand if either had remembered doing such a long descent after leaving the water station the day before (we were now retracing our steps). Like me, they hadn’t and we had a good laugh (or a good scowl) about this unexpected uphill.

While it felt like it would never come, we eventually stumbled upon the water station and knew we had few uphills left. Jose pushed us the last three miles into Proctor Canyon A/S (mile 99). We started powerhiking the uphills and hammering the downhills. About a mile out from Proctor, Joe hit the deck hard. We regrouped and took a more responsible (while still fairly fast) pace down into the aid station.

Powering up the hills

Slamming the downs

Only a couple miles from the finish, we didn’t stop a beat at Proctor A/S and fistbumped the volunteers as we went by. This section, as we remembered from the day before, was really sandy and we soon resigned to a walk. We shared war stories and really enjoyed each other’s company until I noticed a bobbing blue jacket that was closing in on us.

Coming into Proctor Canyon A/S for the last time

We picked up the pace for a bit to drop them for sure and then reclaimed our easy walking pace. A hundred yards from the finish, we decided to run and cross the line together (of course I still did a cartwheel).


At the finish, we each got to hit a gong, signifying our completion of the 100-mile distance. We took a ton of pictures, chatted for a while, and then said our goodbyes. It had truly been a special 100-mile finish and I will always cherish my time with those three guys.

Hardest decision on the planet!

Joe, me, and Gus

Despite this being my slowest 100-mile finish (34:46), I was really pleased with how I ran the race. I took care of myself physically, mentally, and emotionally, and stood up to the challenge. When it was all said and done, there was a 53% DNF rate. To be on the right side of the numbers and to have done it just a few weeks after Cocodona 250, was a really satisfying experience. To make such awesome new friends and to be able to enjoy the course with such fantastic companions was just the cherry on top.

I want to say thank you to the volunteers, race staff, crews, and runners that made this event possible. In particular, I want to thank my dad for fantastic crewing (despite the communication hiccup) and encouragement throughout the race. I also want to congratulate all who finished the extremely difficult course, especially my mom who fought hard to finish under the 50k cutoff and succeeded. Great job Mom!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Business 100 Race Report (2024 - Counter Clockwise)

Uwharrie 100M Race Report (2024)

Indiana Trail 100 Race Report (2024)